loading the first record only

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sweetleaf
Participant

loading the first record only

Post by sweetleaf »

Hi there,

I have a sequential file, transform and oracle stage.
I want to load only the first record from the sequential file into my oracle table.
Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

Use @INROWNUM < 2 as a contstraint on an output link (input link to you Oracle stage. Only the first row will meet the constraint.
mihai
Participant

Post by mihai »

What trobinson said or @OUTROWLINK
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

When you run a job from the director you are presented with a screen that asks how many rows you want to process. You can limit the job to just one row by setting this number to 1. If you call it up from a Batch I believe you can also set this value to process just one row.

Don't have the DataStage software in front of me right now so I can't tell you exactly where these options are.

Vincent McBurney
Data Integration Services
www.intramatix.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Limiting the rows to be processed leaves your job in a Stopped state. It may require to be reset.

Another approach to this is to pre-process the file, via ExecSH (on UNIX). For example, if the file whose first row only is what you want is called file1, then run the command "head -1 file1 > file2" via ExecSH then have DataStage process file2.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Tested a job reading and writing a sequential file with the "Stop Stages after" set to 1 rows and it worked well. Processed the row and returned to a Finished state.

writecsv..CTransformerStage1: DSD.StageRun Active stage finishing.
1 rows read from DSLink3
1 rows written to DSLink4

The bonus here is that you can use the same job for a single row that you would use for the entire file. From a routine or batch job you can use the DSSetJobLimit function with the limit type of DSJ.LIMITROWS.

Vincent McBurney
www.intramatix.com
sweetleaf
Participant

Post by sweetleaf »

Hi there,

Thanks - taking your advice, i set the row limit in the Director. It works fine.

Can I use @INROWNUM > 2 to "skip" the header info in my file?

Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes if the first *two* records are header information. If there is only one you could just set the properties correctly in the Sequential stage. [:)]

On the Format tab is a check-box for "First line is column names", select that to automagically skip the first record.

-craig
sweetleaf
Participant

Post by sweetleaf »

Hi there,

I tried typing just @INROWNUM > 2 in the constraint section of my transform stage (which reads data IN from a sequential file OUT to an oracle table), and it did not work.

Is there something else which I have left out?

I'd like to skip the first 2 records of this text file and begin importing at row/line 3. Can this be done?

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes. Definitely. Your constraint expression (@INROWNUM > 2) is definitely OK. What symptom led to the assertion you made that "it didn't work"?

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Here's where it gets confusing! You've specified in your run options that you only want to process one row. You have a constraint that halts the first two rows at the transformer stage. You are processing just one row and it is being rejected by your constraint. You need to up the number of rows processed to 3 to ensure your constraint rejects the first 2 rows and you get the 3rd row processed.

Vincent McBurney
www.intramatix.com