Connectivity Problems:Urgent Help

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Viswanath
Participant

Connectivity Problems:Urgent Help

Post by Viswanath »

Hi All,
I am trying to connect to Oracle from DataStage. The DataStage server is on Win2K and Oracle Client is intstalled on the server machine. When i try to get the metadata using the Manager, the Manager just hangs up and does not show anything. I have also tried not checking the boxes that give me the System tables details and have also given the Table Like clause, so that a minimum number of tables are selected. I understand that there is dsenv file that needs to be updated, but I am unable to find any such file on the server!! Can this file be in any other name or should I create the file? WHat are he entries that I need to use in this file. I have tried connecting to DB2, and it was successful.
Help!

Viswanath.S
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The dsenv file is not your problem; it exists only on UNIX platforms.

Can you connect to Oracle from the DataStage server machine using any of the Oracle client software, such as a sqlplus window? If not, you need to diagnose why - check that the Oracle environment variables are set correctly (via Control Panel > System > Environment). Check also that the Oracle client software is configured correctly, especially TNSNAMES.ORA.

Within the DataStage environment there is a test utility called DS.CONNECT that you can use to connect to a database via ODBC - do you have a DSN set up for ODBC to connect to Oracle?

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
Viswanath
Participant

Post by Viswanath »

Hi,
The Oracle client is set properly on the server machine. No troubles with that. We tested through TOAD and faced no probs. Now we have created the DSN for the connectivity. Since there is no test option when creating the DSN, we tested that with a small piece of VB code and it was working fine. Can you tell me where I can find this DS.CONNECT? I can give that a shot and try it out!
Thanks

Viswanath.S
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DS_CONNECT is to be found within the DataStage environment. You can execute it either through the Administrator client Command window, or by establishing a telnet session with your DataStage project. I'd recommend the latter, because DS_CONNECT is an interactive utility. (Note, too, that it's an underscore in the name, not a ".")

In a DataStage telnet connection, the prompt character is ">".

At that prompt, enter the command:
DS_CONNECT datasource
where datasource is the data source name (DSN) you want to test.
If the DSN requires a user ID and password you will be prompted for these.

You can prove that DS_CONNECT works by using localuv as the DSN. You can obtain help on its capabilities by typing HELP CONNECT at the > prompt.

Once DS_CONNECT is successfully connected, the prompt changes to the DSN followed by a ">" character. While in this environment, issue SQL statements against the database. Use ".Q" to exit from DS_CONNECT.

If DS_CONNECT fails to connect, it outputs a diagnostic message showing the SQL State, DBMS code and error text.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
Viswanath
Participant

Post by Viswanath »

Hi Ray,
Thanks a lot. I tried pinging Oracle from DataStage and I found out that it was giving an error. It was cause of the file SQLNMET.ora. The SQLNET Authentication Service was uncommented. Thus we had to manually start up the database everytime the server was shut down. Now it works.
Thanks once again.

Viswanath.S