UniVerse/UniData files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

etlandbi
Participant

UniVerse/UniData files

Post by etlandbi »

Hi All,

I am new to Datastage. Can someone point out to me what uniVerse/uniData files are. Are these any RDBMS or are they any kind of flat files.Any idea on how the data is stored in this type of files and how are they accessed. Is it with any thing like ODBC/native drivers.Any additional info would be great.

Your response is highly appreciated,

Thanks

Rahul
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Universe and Unidata are RDBMS from a former company called VMARK, which is also the father of DataStage. DataStage until version 6 is on the Basis of Universe. Meanwhile this both products are owned by IBM. If you don't have Unidata in your house you do not need to regard it.

Universe it the RDBMS you get "free of charge" with buying DataStage. With the Universe Hash Files you can do a lot of nice things but if you don't want you need not to regard Universe. It can stay a black box in the background if you want, normaly no regard is needed.

Best thing to start with DataStage is to go to a DataStage education. You will soon profit from the money you pay for it. DataStage is easy and many starters think they don't need education. But believe me without it you are for sure doing a lot of silly and unnessessary things.

Wolfgang
etlandbi
Participant

Post by etlandbi »

Thanks a lot WoMaWil for the info. I do go along with that a professional training from Datastage would be worth the money. I am right now on project and i have been asked to develop new skills while being on the current project. I browsed through the DS CD's but i do not find any tutorial/Exercise available on it other than the guides. Is there any location/zip files that i can pick up so that i can go ahead with a self paced training on my own.Any sample data and sample jobs to browse through gets the training half done.

Thanx again for your response,

Rahul