Datastage documentation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

luca
Participant

Datastage documentation

Post by luca »

Hi !
I'm looking for a way to generate documentation for my DataStage project.
I saw that we have a Reporting Assistant which we tried to use but unsuccessfully yet.
Can someone explain me what this Reporting Assistant can do and how it works, how to use it.
Thank you.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Reporting Assistant needs to downloads project metadata into an odbc database on a client machine before the data appears in the standard reports. By default your installation comes with an Access database in the Reporting Tool directory and creates an ODBC for this database. You choose which objects you want to export to this reporting tool.

Once the Access database is populated you can run some of the Reporting Tool standard reports against it. This produces reams of documentation about your jobs that look like Access reports.

If you are really keen you can point a reporting/query tool at your Access database and make your own reports. I've used msquery and excel in the past to make custom reports such as a list of all job parameters and default values, a list of all input and output files for all jobs, a list of all hash files used as references and the location of those files.

You can take copies of the Access database that represent different points of time and are stored on shared drives rather than on client machines.

I've seen problems with this tool in the past, on one machine it had run time errors, on another it would only load about 10 objects at any one time. If you are having problems loading your data you should contact Ascential support.

Vincent McBurney
Data Integration Services
www.intramatix.com
luca
Participant

Post by luca »

Thanks for your answer.
I managed to export my metadata for my project to the access DB. But then, when I ran the Reporting Tool, it was as if no standard reports were predefined.
Do you think something is missing from the DataStage installation ?
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

luca,

it is right, that there is in the beginning no additional report present but you can use the normal report with the view and print option and you even have by choosing some options to include in the documentation.

If you need additional customized reports you have to build them yourself (when knowing Access) but you can also access this access-db with the reporting Tool of your choise.

And beside that you are also easily able to use another DB (like oracle for example) for to store your metadata.

So you are full of choises.

Try starting with the print and view option.

For to make own reports in Access keep the SHIFT--key hold when opening the access-file.

Wolfgang
luca
Participant

Post by luca »

I found in the DS Manager documentation the way to do it (same way that Wolfgang suggested). The problem I was facing is mostly due to a really not "intuitive" Reporting Assistant .
I would have thought that the view or print would simply print what you can see at the screen, but in fact, it is the print preview option which creates the report ...