Comparison Information

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

amaruvi
Participant

Comparison Information

Post by amaruvi »

Could anybody provide the foll information :

1. Whether third party performance report of DataStage is available ?
If so the site url ?

2. Comparison of DS with other tools such as Informatica apart from
the marketing jargon.

Regards
Amaruvi
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Have a look at the www.datawarehouse.com web site, it has a lot of forums and one of them is for Datawarehousing ETL tool comparison. Some of these message threads mention web sites where comparison reports or tools are located. Many of the threads cover Informatica versus DataStage and some of the other main tools on the market.

regards
Vincent
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Just occasionally analysts like Gartner Group do this kind of study, and are selectively quoted by the vendors. Track them backwards from the vendors' marketing blurbs.
kjanes
Participant

Post by kjanes »

I can tell you that DataStage on AIX flies. It utilizes multiple processors (SMP) and exploits hashing very well. I do not work for Ascential but can testify that DataStage is very scalable and can handle large volumes of data and complex ETL better than any environment I have seen in many years. With a combination of strong AIX hardware and DataStage we reduced our weekly batch cycle time from 80-90 hours to less than 15 hours. We just added a lot of complex functionality to the batch cycle and DataStage hardly noticed.

Our DataStage environment is close to 500 jobs and we process a lot of data on a weekly basis. I am not sure what kind of benchmarks you will find. The only real test will be to get it inhouse and prototype in your environment using your own data.

If you let it, DataStage can consume as much CPU and memory in the AIX environment as you can throw at it. For instance, I have seen it consume 8 entire CPU's and 4GB RAM because we do not restrict it.

Kevin Janes
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I've got similar testimonials to give for DataStage on Compaq (/HP/The New HP/Whatever) Tru64. I don't know what will happen when we have the new processors & O/S foisted off on us, but the Alphas do some pretty good flying of their own.

When we did our evaluations, we brought in technical representatives from several vendors (Informatica being one) and put them thru their paces one by one. I'm not going to get into the particulars as it was a few years ago (3.1 days) and alot has changed since then, but we've been very happy with our choice.

-craig
amaruvi
Participant

Post by amaruvi »

Thank you all for the information given. They were very useful.
Especially the www.datawarehouse.com was a good one.

Could you elaborate on the parameters on which an ETL tool has to be evaluated ?

Regards
Amaruvi