DSJOB exceeding command line buffer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jseclen
Participant

Post by jseclen »

Hi Kiran

You can use a UNIX Shell, define variables that contains the parameters, example,

MyPaht=/home/data/info/files/december
MyUser=dstage
MyFile=Data_20021215_Cancel.txt
MyBD=server2.myconection

when you run the job, use the command

> dsjob -run -mode NORMAL -param PATH=$MyPath -param USER=$MyUser
-param FILE=$MyFile -param BD=$MyBD

all that inside your UNIX script.

I hope this help.

Miguel Seclen
Lima - Peru
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Another approach is to have parameter values in a text file ("ini" file) that a controlling job can read and use values therefrom to set parameter values in the controlled job(s).
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Are all of your parameters *really* necessary, meaning they can change from invocation to invocation of the job? If not and the values you are passing in match the 'default' values for these parameters, then consider removing them from your dsjob command. Any parameters that are not explicitly set by the dsjob command will use their default values. Mine stay pretty short as I only pass in the one or two that change each time.

-craig
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not to beat your (now) dead horse, but we also use different parameters based on environment. We have three projects - one for dev, one for test and one for production. The defaults for the parameters are set based on their environment so I don't have to specify them again unless something changes, just once when the job is promoted. Are you working out of a single project?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Don't forget that run-time default values can be set in Director (Job > Set Defaults). You can then also disable prompting for those parameters that are different solely because of the project in which they occur.