DataStage ETL Standards

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

badhri
Participant

DataStage ETL Standards

Post by badhri »

Greetings,

I'm in the process of preparing the DataStage standards to be followed for an upcoming project. Please help me with your thoughts or let me know whether these is any Standard document ??

Thanks in Advance.

Badhri ...
www.cognizant.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

One of the nice things about standards is that there are so many of them to choose among! =;^)
Ascential do not publish standards; their philosophy is to keep the product as flexible as possible so that we can do what we want how we want. There is a class you can take, called "DataStage Best Practices", but even this doesn't really attempt to be prescriptive.
That said, almost every DataStage site where I have worked have implemented some form of standards, particularly naming standards for jobs, stages and links, temporary tables and so on.
On the other hand, there is usually more than one way to accomplish the same result in DataStage, and often I've seen designs change during the peer review phase, because a more efficient mechanism is suggested.