Oracle Connection

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

asnagaraj
Participant

Oracle Connection

Post by asnagaraj »

I have a Datastage 5.2 server for unix installed in my network.i need to connect to an oracle instance available in the same network.what are the things that i need to do so that i can access the tables available in the oracle instance through datastage?

currently iam getting a TNS could not resolve service name error..i know that i have to make changes to some .ora file available in the oracle client installation in the machine that hosts my datastage 5.2 server, but am not sure.

do help me with the necessary details.

Programmer Analyst,
Cognizant,
Chennai.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The file in question is TNSNAMES.ORA
You also need Oracle client software installed and properly configured on the machine hosting the DataStage server.
You may also, if you're using ODBC to access Oracle, to have an ODBC driver for Oracle installed and properly configured.
Both of these may require adjustment to environment variables such as PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or SHLIB_PATH or whatever your particular system uses for its name).
asnagaraj
Participant

Post by asnagaraj »

can you be a bit more explanatory about setting the environment variables

Programmer Analyst,
Cognizant,
Chennai.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Oracle client requires that a number of environment variables, such as ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_BIN be set. ODBC drivers may require certain environment variables to be set, particularly the one that finds the library in which the driver actually exists. Executables may have to be found, which involves the PATH variable. You may also need to have the LANG environment variable set.
DataStage processes (on UNIX) have their environment variables set via the dsenv file in the DataStage server engine directory.