Debugging Client has Disconnected

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cfuller
Premium Member
Premium Member

Debugging Client has Disconnected

Post by cfuller »

Hi all

first time user of the forum, so please be patient with me.

environment - Windows 2K client running ver 6.0.0.17 of Datastage
connecting to Windows 2K server running ver 6.0

Problem - The job scenario is hash file is primary driver, does lookup to another has file, write records to on Oracle table. First step is to run an update against the table to clear any records in error. When debugging this job, the pre-SQL process takes approx 65 secs to complete, then when this returns I get the error "Debugging Client has Disconnected". Is there a setting that needs to be set either on the client side or the server side to increase the debugging timeout limit.
Additionally, once this happens, I need to reboot my client machine as I continually get the error after the initial problem, and this seems to be the only way to fix it.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

Chris Fuller

Non-Life IT Applications
Munich Reinsurance Co of Australasia Ltd

Phone 61 2 9272 8012
Mobile 61 (0)412 277 685
Fax 61 2 9247 9124
E-mail cfuller@munichre.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is this only with the Debugger, or with any client? In the Adminstrator client you can specify the client-side inactivity timeout (even unto "do not timeout"), and on the server you can set an inactivity timeout via the unirpcservices file. In this file find the entry for dscs (DataStage common server); the final field is its inactivity timeout, and zero means "unlimited".
cfuller
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cfuller »

Hi Ray

In answer to your questions -

This only happens with the debugger, ie the job runs fine when initiated from the director.

The client-side time-out is set to 86400 seconds (24 hours) which is definately longer than the 60+ seconds the update runs for.

I searched the server and was unable to locate a file called "unirpcservices". Is this file included in v6.0 on Win 2k Server, and where should I find it?

Thanks

Chris Fuller

Non-Life IT Applications

Phone 61 2 9272 8012
Mobile 61 (0)412 277 685
Fax 61 2 9247 9124
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The unirpcservices file is in a folder called unirpc which, in turn, is in a folder called unishared. Location of this is specified by you at installation time, but by default it is a sibling of the DataStage Engine folder.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If that ain't it, I think you're going to have to open an official support call with your vendor (or Ascential, as appropriate). It *may* be a bug introduced with the new client in DS 6.0.
cfuller
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cfuller »

Hi Ray

Checked the server, and this directory is not anywhere to be found.

Any other ideas as to where this file may be ?

BTW, I have also opened an issue with Ascential, and will advise if I get any result there.

Thanks

Chris Fuller

Non-Life IT Applications

Phone 61 2 9272 8012
Mobile 61 (0)412 277 685
Fax 61 2 9247 9124
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Haven't installed a DS 6.0 yet. There must be something, though, because the architecture requires a listener process (was called unirpcd on DataStage 5.x and earlier), and this process needs to know how to start its services (this was specified in the unirpcservices file in DS 5.x and earlier). It's architected to mimic the UNIX RPC mechanism and its services file. Perhaps there's an entry for dscs in %WINNT_ROOT%System32driversetcservices file? I'd doubt it, but it's worth looking. Look also in the Registry.
Perhaps someone with DS 6.0 installed (or someone from Ascential) could enlighten us about whether the name has change or something.
cfuller
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cfuller »

Hi Ray

After some e-mails and a phone call from an engineer in the US have found the solution to the problem.

When starting DataStage client, I was using the "Omit" checkbox when loggon on to my project. The engineer advised that this process is using LANMAN rather than a native TCPIP connection, and this was were the problem arose. Once I connected to the project by using my signon all worked as it should.

This is obviously a tip for the unintiated, and maybe some of the more experienced.

Thanks for your input also.

Regards
Chris
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

<rant>
You DON'T have a solution, you have a workaround, one that's been known for ages.
There's no good reason anything should fail to work merely because one chooses Windows LAN Manager over TCP/IP as the connection method. There's some lazy programming inside DataStage here.
</rant>

FWIW, I always use TCP/IP, both for the comfort it gives me to have had to enter a password, and the fact that it works the same way on UNIX and Windows platforms as the DataStage server.
Stef
Participant

Debugging client has disconnected

Post by Stef »

I am a new user doing the tutorial with DS 7.5.
I get the same error message in a w2k environemtn for many server jobs.
they run well w/out trace in both director & designer. when tracing it sometimes abort w/ this msg!
I also used to log with the omit but now enter my uid/pwd but get the same behavior.

as it is the tutorial, their is no heavy volume involved nor complex code.

please help.....Stef
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This is no consolation, but I recently encountered the same thing on a 7.1 site. I think it's a (re-introduced?) bug.

Luckily I was able to what I needed to do using stage tracing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Stef
Participant

Post by Stef »

Hi Ray,
Ascential support people help me find out that I had not enough RAM available of my machine (wich was also acting as the server) and that virtual memory management was actually causing the problem. Setting the VM to a fixed size of 3 time my actual ram (128 thus 384 meg) fixed the problem. I will also upgrade my machine to have 512 meg of ram to improve performance and definitely forget about all this...until I get the same error msg somewhere else.
lebos
Participant

Post by lebos »

I also have just experienced this problem with 7.1, server is AIX5.1. Guess I better check my memory situation although it's hard to believe that would be the problem.

Larry
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Wow... I'm surprised you can run much of anything in 128MB of RAM nowadays. The O/S alone wants that much. :roll:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The "official" answer - the one that you have to parrot to pass the MS certification for NT Administrator - is that WinNT requires 16MB. :lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.