Two versions in Same Unix Box

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

badhri
Participant

Two versions in Same Unix Box

Post by badhri »

Greetings,

We are having DataStage 4.2 in our Sun Solaris 2.7 box. We want to upgrade this to DataStage 6.0. Can I have a fresh installation of DataStage in a different folder hierarchy without disturbing the existing version in that Unix box.

Due to short of resoruce I want to do this in the Development Unix Box and i wish I don't disturb the existing Devlopment setup.

Please help me in this regard.

Thanks,
Badhri ...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I think the answer is yes... and no. You could certainly install the 6.0 version into a different folder hierarchy without disturbing your existing installation. HOWEVER, certain 'common' files from the original installation will be overwritten - the symbolic links at the root of your system ( .dslibs and/or .uvlibs ) and the .rc startup, for example. Plus I really doubt you can have both running at the same time - I would think at *best* you could run/test the new install (with the old one shut down) and then switch things back when you are done testing. Your tests might be further complicated by the fact that the underlying architecture changes quite a bit from 4.x to the 5.x(+) environment, from Universe to the 'DataStage Engine' being one part of that. Plus, add in the differences between upgrading a 4.2 installation to 6.0 and installing 6.0 'fresh'...

I'm sure there are more 'gotchas'. Long story short, you probably won't be able to pull off what you would like to do and will really need to find a 'test' box. Unless someone else (Ray?) has some words of wisdom along those lines?

-craig
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Craig has it right. Primarily because of the single point of entry (/.dshome and its colleagues), you can have N versions installed but only one active at a time.

That said, because the DataStage Engine changed at 5.0 so that both DataStage and UniVerse could run separately on the machine, you just might be able to get away with running the 4.1 and 6.0 combination! (Check with Ascential about licensing, though.)
At 4.1 the entry file names are /.uvhome and /.uvlibs, while at 6.0 they are /.dshome and /.dslibs. The main area of grief is likely to be /.unishared, which governs connection of DataStage clients (among other things). You would also need to be particularly careful with environment variable settings, such as LD_LIBRARY_PATH.