Using DS.TOOLS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nilotpalr
Participant

Using DS.TOOLS

Post by nilotpalr »

Hi All,
I am using DS.TOOLS to clear the status file. The Datastage director shows the status as COMPILED. But when i view the log, new log messages are logged indicating that the job is still running. Also I am unable to compile the jobe from designer and the message given is that this job is still monitored.
Can any one tell me what is happenning.
Thanks in advance.
Nilotpal.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This symptom usually means that there is a lock on the job, possibly held by a redundant process (particularly if the job has been stopped). Or maybe a previous run of the job IS still being monitored by another DataStage client (in which case shut down the monitor).
If the job is locked you need to identify which process is holding the lock and release it. You can do this via DS.TOOLS or via the Cleanup Resources option in Director.
Bouncing the DataStage Engine will also clear all locks.
srinivasb
Participant

Post by srinivasb »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the response ... by the way whats bouncing the DataStage engine?
Regards
Srinivas.B
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

By bouncing he means stopping and restarting the DataStage services on the server.

ds -admin -stop
- Will shut it down.
ds -admin -start
- will hopefully bring it back up.

Obviously more drastic than cleaning up locks manually as it ends all connections such as logged in users and running jobs.
srinivasb
Participant

Thanks for the explanantion !!

Post by srinivasb »

Hi VMCBURNEY,

Thats very kind of you. I didn't know that jargon.

Thanks and Regards
Srini
mihai
Participant

Alternative to bouncing

Post by mihai »

If you don't want to/can't bounce the server, telnetting to the engine and issuing the command
UNLOCK ALL
should do the trick.

This should be done carefully, as locks will be dropped by everything (including scheduled jobs that are running at the time, your colleagues, etc).

Kind regards,
Mihai
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The "trick" UNLOCK ALL should do, if the system is set up sensibly, is to emit the message "insufficient privileges to execute command". :P

This is because unlocking every lock on the system without thought and due care may solve one problem, but will definitely create lots of others. For example, each connected client signals the fact by using a shared lock in the lock table. NEVER blow them all away.

Find out the process IDs (from files in the &PH& directory if necessary), or the user numbers (they will be the same on Windows, different on UNIX), and use a more targeted syntax of UNLOCK to clear just the locks for this process (exactly what DS.TOOLS does).

And you will still need Administrator rights.

If one learns from others but does not think, one will be bewildered.
If one thinks but does not learn, one will be in peril.
(Confucious)
Teej
Participant

Re: Using DS.TOOLS

Post by Teej »

nilotpalr wrote:Hi All,
I am using DS.TOOLS to clear the status file. The Datastage director shows the status as COMPILED. But when i view the log, new log messages are logged indicating that the job is still running. Also I am unable to compile the jobe from designer and the message given is that this job is still monitored.
Can any one tell me what is happenning.
It means a bug had reared its head.

Recompile the job and the "running" job will reset.

-T.J.