How to calculate second-highest data value

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sreesuku2
Participant

How to calculate second-highest data value

Post by sreesuku2 »

Hi Team,

I want to create calculated column 'sec'- as per the below file format. I have columns Prim, Oth1 to Oth6 in my actual input file.

Prim- is the highest value among columns Oth1 to Oth 6.

Sec - is the second highest value among columns Oth1 to Oth6. But If there are columns with same highest values, then prim and sec are the same.

Eg : In the case of ser# 00191J, Prim is 2 sec is 1.
For 546720 Prim is 4 sec is also 4. Since Oth1 is having value 4 and Oth2 is also having value 4.
For 04864F Prim is 3 sec is 0

Is there any way I create this sec column ?

Code: Select all

Ser #	Prim	Oth1	Oth2	Oth3	Oth4	Oth5	Oth6	Sec
00191J	2	   2	   1	   0	   1	   0	   0	   1
546720	4	   4	   4	   3	   0	   0	   0	   4
04864F	3	   0	   3	   0	   0	   0	   0	   0
2121AC	3	   3	   3	   2	   2	   0	   0	   2
04974N	0	   0	   0	   0	   0	   0	   0	   0
Note : I think the format of the file is coming in distorted way. Is there any way I can attach the file or give a screen shot

Regards
Sree
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:idea: While you could include a screen shot using the [Img] tags after you've uploaded it to a file sharing site, as you can see there's no need. The forum software automatically removes 'extra' whitespace which is what was affecting your example. I wrapped it in

Code: Select all

[/b] tags which preserve whitespace but that isn't the end of the story. I still had to use the 'Preview' option to see what the post [i]was going to look like[/i] and then adjust the spacing until everything lined up - these are proportional fonts so what you type is not exactly how it goes up when posted. Several tweaks later and the result is what you see.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sreesuku2
Participant

Post by sreesuku2 »

Hi Craig,

Thanks for all your technical work :o :o :o
However I am waiting for the required solution for others :)

If you can shed some light on that, it will be great :)
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Since this is a server job, you could do it in a routine. Pass the "Oth" values to the routine as arguments. Then sort the data values and return the second highest one.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You could use a stage variable for each Oth column testing whether the value is less than Prim and higher than anything already encountered. But a routine would, in my opinion, be easier to maintain.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.