DB/2 Mainframe compatibility with Unix DB/2 (UDB)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

toddtrues
Participant

DB/2 Mainframe compatibility with Unix DB/2 (UDB)

Post by toddtrues »

Does anyone have any experiences with using an open systems version of DB/2 UDB on Sun and then eventually migrating the environment to Mainframe UDB. We want to do development in the open systems environment due to many political reasons and then migrate the DataStage environment to mainframe DB2. My understanding is that ANSI SQL commands INSERTS, SELECTS, etc should work between the two platforms fine.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,

I think I missunderstood your question :(

If you ment to use open system DB2 as your development environment
and your MainFrame as your production environment, then I think this is wrong, since they are not the same products and some things that work on open system DB2 might work differently or not at all on your MF DB2.

Hope this helps,
Last edited by roy on Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
kjanes
Participant

Post by kjanes »

The job design palletts are different between a server side job (Unix/AIX) and DataStage 390, so the migration path based on DB2 UDB is somewhat flawed. There are some possibilities but fundamentally it is not transparent to DataStage.

It is possible to write a server side job to connect to DB2 on Unix and then possbily (when you are ready to migrate the data) point the DB2 stage to a DB2 Connect gateway that is connected to your mainframe DB2 source.

Please elaborate on your theory. Were your plans to write a server side job and then "convert" it to a DataStage 390 job or were you planning to change the Data Source in your server side job to point to mainframe DB2?
Kevin Janes