Hashed File stage Lookup propertry in server job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

swapna07
Participant

Hashed File stage Lookup propertry in server job

Post by swapna07 »

Hi, I am new to this forum...don't know whether am posting to the correct link or not...am preparing a document to show the usefulness of Hashed file stage in server jobs.Below is the scenario..

I have one input ODBC enterprise stage with one table and other referential ODBC enterprise stage with another table both going as input link to hashed file stage which is doing lookup based on the two common key present in both the table...one output link is going from hashed file stage to sequential file. compilation is successful but when i run the job, it is saying "Unable to Open the file path name" which i have given in seq file and as output file path in hashed stage. although i checked the parameter set and the path. But don't know how to go about it... can please anyone help me on this ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: DataStage Hashed File stage LookUp propertry in server j

Post by chulett »

swapna07 wrote:Hi, I am new to this forum...don't know whether am posting to the correct link or not
Welcome. And... you're not. :wink:

You needed to start a new post but instead you replied to an old one. I've split this out for you so now we're better but I had to guess on your O/S and version. Please let me know if either is incorrect.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So this really has nothing to do with a hashed file lookup per se? But rather an error when attempting to write to a Sequential file? Sounds like your output file path is either invalid or your running user doesn't have permissions to write to it.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

To do a lookup against a hashed file there must be a reference link from the Hashed File stage to a Transformer stage. A link from a Hashed File stage to a Sequential File stage is a stream query from the hashed file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

By chance could you post an "ascii art" picture of the stages in your job? So we are certain how the data is flowing from source to target. Wrap it in

Code: Select all

tags to preserve any whitespace... and make liberal use of the 'Preview' button to make it looks fine after posting.
-craig

swapna07
Participant

Post by swapna07 »

ok. i will post my job screen capture here so that u guys can get a clear picture of what am trying to say.thanks.
swapna07
Participant

Post by swapna07 »

Hey can anyone tell me how to use hashed file stage as a lookUp stage reading records from two SQL tables through ODBC stage and writing it into sequential file. Please help.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Again, post something that shows us what you are trying to accomplish. Either take a screen capture of the job's canvas, load it up to any of the free file hosting sites and then use [img] tags to include it in a post here or simply "draw" it using text as I noted in my "ascii art" post.

I'm sure you're not having an issue sourcing from ODBC and since you are writing a paper on "the usefulness of hashed files" to me that implies a knowledge of using them. Seems to me the sticky part is the role the sequential file is playing here and that's still unclear from your descriptions. I could guess but I'd rather see your job design...
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Hashed File stage can not "look up ... reading from ... SQL tables".

A Transformer stage performs a lookup from a Hashed File stage. The Hashed File may have been pre-loaded with content from the table.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.