Row/sec keep decreasing when writing data into hash file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Satwika
Participant

Row/sec keep decreasing when writing data into hash file

Post by Satwika »

Hi,

I am reading data from database(sql serv 2005 ) using OLDB stage and writing it into hash file.Data flow start by 25000 rows/sec and keep decreasing to 600 rows\sec in few minutes.In input I have around 5 millions records .Can you please help me ,how to maintain the rows\sec so that data will load into has file in 5 to 10 minutes.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You need to properly size the hashed file when it is created, which involves computing the initial 'Minimum Modulus' value under the 'Create File' options in the stage. I'm assuming the Hashed File Calculator is still being provided... if you can find it, it will help with computing the correct value.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Rows/sec is meaningless in this context. The initial burst is misleading, as this is showing you writes into memory cache. The figure at the end is an average of that and of flushing the cache to disk, which will necessarily be quite slower.

As Craig mentioned, well-tuned hashed files will perform better than badly-tuned ones, but they will never be as fast as the memory cache. The real speed in hashed files comes when you perform lookups; in a well-tuned hashed file any lookup requires exactly one I/O operation.

Hashed File Calculator continues to be supplied on the installation media, as an unsupported utility.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Satwika
Participant

Post by Satwika »

Would you please help me to find Hashed File Calculator .In hash file 'Minimum Modulus' is defined as 1 by default.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Hashed File Calculator (hfc.exe) is provided on your installation media in a directory called Utilities, in a sub-directory called Unsupported.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Satwika
Participant

Post by Satwika »

Hi Thanks for providing path.This project is migration project.Same job in DS 7.5 able to load data in hash file in around 4 to 5 mins .Where rows/sec keep constant between 15000 to 20000 .But in DS 8.5 its keep decreasing and it goes till few hundreds record per sec.We have around 6 million records in input database to load in hash file.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are the hashed files identically sized in each environment?

Assuming there is a VOC pointer for the hashed file, you can use the command ANALYZE.FILE hashedfilename STATS to determine the current sizing.
Satwika
Participant

Post by Satwika »

Ray ,would you mean the size of hash file during installation in 8.5 is identical to 7.5. In hash file stage ,under create file option button all values are identical in 7.5 and 8.5 job.In 8.5 job usually even get aborted after long time with warning like mention below.

CopyOfGSAP_CONTROL_ETL_change_8..Hashed_File_115.FrmIntfcCntrlSrc: ds_uvput() - Write failed for record id '4629563'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Was the 7.5 version created with the 64BIT option (not available through the Hashed File stage)?
Satwika
Participant

Post by Satwika »

Its created with type 30 (Dynamic). In 8.5 i am facing this issue with rows/sec.