IPC timeout issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mdbatra
Premium Member
Premium Member

IPC timeout issue

Post by mdbatra »

Hi All-
I understand from a search here on the same topic that it has been discussed umpteen no. of times, but still I am not able to come to a conclusvie statement regarding the root cause and the resolution.

We refreshed out test enviornment(SMP,8 node) with the production one(SMP, 4 node). There are so many jobs making use of IPC stage which run fine in production(with 512 buffer size and timeout as 10 ) but all such jobs are failing in test environment one after another. We tried with changing the timeout to 60 and that has worked fine.

Not able to understand:
1. how do the jobs run with similar configuration in production ?
2. Is there a way to propogate the buffer size and timeout as set in administrator to the IPC stages? As there are lot of jobs and it would required a continuos monitoring of the load otherwise.
3. What's the link b/w setting at project, jobs and IPC stage level ? we have timeout in admin set as 600, at job level we have 'Use Project Defaults' but with in IPC stage we have as 10.
4. What i understood from documentation is IPC(inter-process) works for MPP, while in-process buffering for SMP. so as we have SMP here, shouldn't in-process buffering been used while designing jobs ?

DS v 7.5.3
Rgds,
MB
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

First question is about resources. Are the production and non-production environments identical (CPU power, memory, disk space)?

Buffer sizes propagate when objects are newly created but not otherwise. There's no link - last one configured wins.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mdbatra
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mdbatra »

Hello Ray-

I came across one of the IBM resolution(setting OLD TIMEOUT BEHAVIOR =1) at project level. Post addition of this variable, the jobs are running smoothly now.

I have requested the infrastructure architect to provide the details for the production and test unix boxes. Will get back soon with facts.
Rgds,
MB
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Interesting... no other post out here (and there are quite a few) mentions "OLD TIMEOUT BEHAVIOR". Where did you find this, can you post a link?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mdbatra
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mdbatra »

Sorry Craig - not sure if you meant to be more specific or really asking for the link :)

Nevertheless, this is the link:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21450066
which i found in the below post:

viewtopic.php?t=145952&highlight=mutex+timeout

Cheers
Rgds,
MB
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Just really asking for the link. :wink: