Table Column Definition

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jiegao
Premium Member
Premium Member

Table Column Definition

Post by jiegao »

Hello,
One of the column of Oracle table changes from number(5,2) to number(10,2). Should I change the table definition accordingly in data stage? I have a feeling that data stage does not need to change. Since I do not have access to data stage currently, I can not test it out. Can some one tell me if data stage should change the table definition on the column? Thanks
Regards
Jie
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

From what I recall, you'll need to change it. DataStage enforces field sizes at the target, so while it won't care as it flows through the job, it will check just before it sends the data to the target. If it sees something larger than your internal metadata allows, pretty sure that you'll get a message to that effect and it will send a null in its place.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Note that since you marked your post with a job type of Server I moved it to the Server forum and gave you a Server answer.
-craig

qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Server jobs are more forgiving of metadata mismatches than Parallel jobs. You should plan to change it as a best practice, even if it gives correct results as is.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Forgiving in job, yes, but still enforce everything at the target.
-craig

jiegao
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jiegao »

Thanks
Regards
Jie