full join

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rsunny
Participant

full join

Post by rsunny »

hi everyone ,

Can anyone tell me the process of getting a full outer join, as in serer we cant get the full outer join through merge stage, i was wondering if there is any other process to find the full outer join .If so , can anybody tell me the process.

Thanks in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What makes you think the Merge stage can't do a full outer join? From what I recall, you would use what it calls a "Complete Set" as the Join Type, have you tried that?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rsunny
Participant

Post by rsunny »

No , I havent tried "Complete Set".Please can u tell me what is this.Is this a stage.I dont have any knowledge regarding this.
rsunny
Participant

Post by rsunny »

I see the 'Cmplete Set' in Merge.i will try it and find out if i can work it out or not.But i searched in google and read in some document that merge can work for full outer join.So i will try with 'complete set' and see if it works ornot.
rsunny
Participant

Post by rsunny »

Hi everyone ,

i tried to do complete set using merge but i am getting the following error.

Merge..Merge_0: Link property retrieval error

i want to know we can merge only for the flat files as my source are database and i couldn't able to perform merge as there is option available only for flat files to have as a source.please can anyone suggest me why is that error coming and how to merge with the sources as databases. for full outer join.

thanks in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As you saw, the Server Merge stage only supports flat file sources. So, yours are two separate databases? Can you load one set into a work table in the other db and then do the FOJ? Or why not simply land both sources to flat files and then use the Merge stage?
-craig

rsunny
Participant

Post by rsunny »

hi ,

i did the same way as u told but i am getting the following error:
Merge..Merge_0: Link property retrieval error

please can you tell me what is this error for and how to rectify this error.

thanks in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What same way? Two files? Then I would guess you are not specifying the file names correctly.
-craig

rsunny
Participant

Post by rsunny »

Hi ,

i tried to land the source to a flat file by giving a specified path and then used merge with the path which i had given for the flat files. i also tried taking dummy data in a new files and tried to do the unit testing but getting the same error.please can you tell me is my approach wrong or anything else.I dont know why is it stopping me with the error.i gave the directory path at the stage and gave the file names at the output with specified columns for each file but still not able to go through it.

thanks in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not sure what to tell you since we can't see what exactly it is you are doing or typing. You need to put two full directory pathnames in the stage, one for the 'First File Directory Path' and one for the second, even if they are the same. Then just the filenames on the Output tab.

The error sounds like you are leaving something blank somewhere.
-craig

rsunny
Participant

Post by rsunny »

I have given two full directory paths for the first and second file and file names for the first and second.i have give the metadata for both the files but i see in the merge stage ,'view data' option is not enabled.I dont knw why is that not enabled.Please can you tell me should the 'view data' option should be enabled but its disabled for me.do you think i am leaving anything blank but i dont see anywhere blank in merge stage.

thanks in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's no ability to do a 'View Data' from that stage, as far as I know, not even sure that would make sense as it would have to run the merge to do so. So it doesn't surprise me if it is disabled. Having no DataStage access, there's nothing for me to test or play with, so I'm going to leave you to the mercy of others.

Perhaps it would help to post a screenshot or two of what you have in your stage? There are a number of free file hosting sites out there, find one, upload your screenshots and then use the [Img] tags to link them into your post. That or find another pair of eyes at your site to take a peek at things, perhaps they'll see something you are missing.
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:!: And please stop quoting something every time you reply in a thread, do it when it makes sense, not all the time. Save me the trouble of cleaning them out from your posts.

There's a perfectly lovely Reply to topic button at the bottom of the frame, use that rather than Reply with quote, unless of course you have a need to actually quote an earlier post or a portion of another post.

Thanks.
-craig