Frequent scheduling of Server Job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ffillmorejr
Participant

Frequent scheduling of Server Job

Post by ffillmorejr »

The native scheduling facility in the Director is somewhat limited. I have some Jobs I want to run every five minutes. Others every hour. Information Server is installed on Windows. I am assuming the alternative to the Director scheduler is a batch script invoking the DataStage Job via a line command. Then using a Windows scheduling facility to invoke the script every five minutes.

Is that correct? Am I missing something?
major
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by major »

I don't 'see' any harm in your approach.

Thanks,
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You do understand that DataStage has no 'native scheduling facility' and what it talks to is the Windows scheduler, yes? So the two approaches aren't really any different. Also, can you guarantee that your job never runs longer than five minutes?

What I've built in the past for situations like this are jobs / scripts that get scheduled in once a day and then in a loop fire off a job at the next available five minute mark. That involves tracking end v. current time and sleeping to the next appropriate start time.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ffillmorejr
Participant

Post by ffillmorejr »

I am looking for a recommendation for Windows job scheduling software to run DataStage Jobs. I am looking at ActiveBatch, JAMS, and Vinzant. Any experiences? Any other alternatives.

TIA!