datasatge vs Cobol

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rsunny
Participant

datasatge vs Cobol

Post by rsunny »

Hi everyone ,

can u guys please help me out to know the advantages of using datastage rather than mainframe.we are planning to build an application using datastage and some part of the application is already available in mainframe on cobol programs.so my boss is pointing out of why to use datastage rather than building the application using mainframe.Any valuable suggestions is greatly helpful.

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can do both! DataStage (Enterprise MVS Edition) can generate COBOL code and JCL for compiling and running the same. "Regular" DataStage can run on zLinux or on a USS partition of the mainframe. Your Windows edition is, by some considerable distance, a cheaper option than either of those. But if budget isn't a constraint... :wink:

The answer, of course, is easier maintainability in the face of future changes to data structures and business requirements.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.