dsapi_slave.exe - Orphan process

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mandalea
Participant

dsapi_slave.exe - Orphan process

Post by mandalea »

Hi,

We are using DataStage 7.5.2 on Windows 2003. We have observed that many times due to connection broken error or othe errors, jobs are abruptly closed and locked and as a result lots of orphan process ( dsapi_slave.exe) still remain in background. Sometimes number is really large i.e. more than 100 processes. Hence the only option we have is to reboot the server to clean it.
Do we need to run any process to remove these orphan process other than reboot.?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You don't necessarily need to reboot your server (although it does give you a clean machine), you can use normal methods to kill those dsapi_slave processes. If no users are logged in and nothing is running, the Windows 2003 command line command of taskkill should do the trick.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You could also use the DS.TOOLS menu for that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you have the DataStage deadlock daemon running? It usually cleans up orphan processes (though this can take up to about 30 minutes to detect and kill them).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

This has been a 'painarea'. Whenever there are locks we try to do it via the DS.TOOLS menu but its really timetaking to do this

Regards
Sreeni
mandalea
Participant

Post by mandalea »

Thanks to all for your prompt response.

Ray, I don't see any deadlock daemon process running on server. How can I start this service?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers