Unwanted Trailing spaces

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wasimus
Participant

Unwanted Trailing spaces

Post by wasimus »

Hi,

I am getting a wierd problem here. In one of our job (which ran successfully on DEV and QA) all of a sudden Datastage started inserting extra spaces in one of the columns. The part of SQL which is brining back extra spaces ias follows :

, CASE When (o2.ORG_DATE_CLOSED IS NULL or o2.ORG_DATE_CLOSED > SYSDATE
and not exists (select 0 from orgcloee where orgcloee.org_lvl_child = orgmstee.org_lvl_child
and sysdate between orgcloee.org_closed_fr_date and orgcloee.org_closed_to_date)) THEN 'A'
Else 'I'
END as U_STOREACTIVESTATUS

The column Length is defined as Varchar(1) but still getting extra spaces at the end. The DB is Oracle 10g.

I dont want to change the code now by putting in trim in Prod as there are so many jobs.

Thanks
basiltarun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Unwanted Trailing spaces

Post by basiltarun »

I guess this has been discussed before.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not sure how you get extra anything in a one character field, can you be more specific as to exactly what it is you are seeing? :?

Is the version of your Oracle client different in production?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
wasimus
Participant

Post by wasimus »

chulett wrote:Not sure how you get extra anything in a one character field, can you be more specific as to exactly what it is you are seeing? :?

Is the version of your Oracle client different in production?

This is what I am seeing. I cut and paste the actual value from DS View into notepad, applied single quotes for your view, and putting it here :

'A '

The Oracle client is same as DEV and QA in Production and this problem is happening in prod. only which is a separate machine.

Thanks for your help
anbu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anbu »

Do you see spaces in your target table? What is the length defined in this table?
You are the creator of your destiny - Swami Vivekananda
wasimus
Participant

Post by wasimus »

anbu wrote:Do you see spaces in your target table? What is the length defined in this table?

I am getting warnings as below when inserting into Target table and job getting aborted after 50 warns.

[DataStage][SQL Client][ODBC][IBM(DataDirect OEM)][ODBC Oracle Wire Protocol driver][Oracle]ORA-12899: value too large for column "IGPMGR"."INTUPS_LOC"."U_STOREACTIVESTATUS"
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The only time I've ever seen anything remotely like this was when a slightly different (aka 'buggy') Oracle client version was installed in one environment, hence the question.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers