Deleting trace files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sportclimber
Charter Member
Charter Member

Deleting trace files

Post by sportclimber »

Hi all:

We have some .trace files sitting around (some for over 2 years) in our projects directory (in &PH&). I'm wondering if I can delete these once we're done with them, and if so, what is the best way? Do they need to be deleted through DataStage administrator (if so, how)? Or can they just be removed like any other unix file? I definitely don't want to corrupt my project!

Thanks in advance for any input!

--Pam
Sreedhar
Participant

Post by Sreedhar »

If it not used since two year then I think you can easily remove it. It would be great if you can give some more details of the trace file.

There would be multiple trace files, used to trace the Db2 or ODBC or Oracle database connectivity.

What I would do is, rename the file and see if my system behavior changes if it does not then some time later (after observing for 10- 15 days will remove)
Regards,
Shree
785-816-0728
Sreedhar
Participant

Post by Sreedhar »

If it not used since two year then I think you can easily remove it. It would be great if you can give some more details of the trace file.

There would be multiple trace files, used to trace the Db2 or ODBC or Oracle database connectivity.

What I would do is, rename the file and see if my system behavior changes if it does not then some time later (after observing for 10- 15 days will remove)
Regards,
Shree
785-816-0728
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Items in the "phantom" &PH& are only needed when the job is running that produced them. Most people prune that directory to a rolling 7(ish) days just to keep some level of detail around for forensic purposes.
Last edited by chulett on Fri May 28, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sportclimber
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by sportclimber »

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for! (and such a quick response).

Cheerio!
Pam
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Anytime, Sportclimber. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers