which format the export file stored

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rhaddur
Participant

which format the export file stored

Post by rhaddur »

I am doing export using the following command

./istool export -domain XXXX -u dsadm -p **** -archive dpr_dev.dsx -ds '-base="HOST/dpr_PROJ_dev" Jobs/*/*.*'

When I do cat The output dsx file dpr_dev.dsx it is giving output in binary format , instead normal format

Query
Which format the dsx file generated is it somehing archive file ,
Whether the same file we can impport will retain the jobs please suggest
Rhaddur
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's compressed and istool will automatically uncompress it for an import. From what I understand, you should be able to manually uncompress it as well using standard tools.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

And be careful to realise that it's not a "dsx" file per se. "dsx" files are produced by DataStage export utilities.

Information Server Manager (istool) produces a compatible file IF the file only contains DataStage components, but the utility can create deployment packages containing components from other products too.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Abhijeet1980
Participant

Post by Abhijeet1980 »

It is safer to use conventional export and import utilities than to try using Information Server manager tools.

With 8.X, it is much easier as Designer client can also do this functionality. The DSX file is a textfile.

Most of the parameter values could be replaced by simple Ctrl-H using a text editor. Simple and efficient way of migrating the jobs.

-Abhijit