Ideal Configuration

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sachin1
Participant

Ideal Configuration

Post by sachin1 »

Hi all,

We will have near about 100 client user connected to Server System(DataStage Server 7.5.1a).

My concern is regarding what should be ideal configuration for system installing Datastage server.
1. Ram size ?
2. Should we go for SMP or MPP.

thanks,
Sachin.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

There are too many factors involved for that question to be answered adequately.
Is this Windows or UNIX? What is the budget? Is the DB for data and XMETA on the same machine(s)? What type of work at the 100+ users doing? Will they all be logged on at the same time? How fast is the network? What disk storage method is used (SAN or not)? These are just the first questions that I can think of, there are certainly many more that need to be answered before any recommendation can be made.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In a version 7 system the requirements are far less than those for version 8, but you should be planning ahead for the day when support for version 7 is no longer available.

The number of clients is not, of itself, an issue (unless you are licensed for fewer). It's what they are doing that's the issue, and the demands that those things are placing on system resources. The factors that Arnd listed should be among your considerations.

Server edition can not make use of an MPP environment, so SMP is your only choice if you want to limit yourself to server edition.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.