Options on starting a job through a script

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ayan
Participant

Options on starting a job through a script

Post by ayan »

Hi,

I am writing a shell script which will check various conditions and then trigger the master sequence. Now if this script is run in the datastage box through the datastage login, do I still need to mention server, user, password in the DSJob call ? I guess not... But want to confirm it once.

Regards,
Ayan

[** Note - topic changed to be more meaningful - Andy]
Ayan
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, you should always include the credentials needed IMHO. Sure, there may be times or installs where it "works" without them but I think it's a bad practice to not "mention" them, doing so makes sure you have full control over all aspects of the process. And once you move up to the 8.x world, as far as I know the whole "guess I don't really need to mention them" part goes out the window.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ayan
Participant

Post by ayan »

Well,I can see your point.Another question,can I mention IP in the -server option?
Ayan
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

I think you can surely use IP. Never tried out myself.

Regards
Sreeni
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Don't see why not either. Go for it. :wink:
-craig

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

IP does work. I disagree with Craig. If the script is run from the DataStage server then using the user and password is not a good idea. It shows up in process list like when you use the ps -ef command. Most of the time it is not visible because there are so many other parameters in front of it but still not a good idea to broadcast any password. The -server option is not needed on the DataStage server.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, while it may not be a "good idea" I've seen plenty of places where it would not work without them. And if you're worried about exposing them on the command line, then check out the -file option for dsjob.
-craig