Does DSJ server 8.0 support 64 bit OS???

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ICE
Participant

Does DSJ server 8.0 support 64 bit OS???

Post by ICE »

Hi,

I would like to upgrade our Websphere Datastage Server Version 7.5 to 8.0.1. I would like to know whethere I can install it on Window 64 bits OS environment or not. Actually I want to install on Win server 2008 standard edition - 64 bit OS.

Do you think it does support??? I cannot find in my CD. The max environment is Win server 2003 and it is 32 bit OS. Do u think DSJ can support higher OS than that they certify because window always has backward compatibility???

OR do you have any idea which Datastage version, which may higher than this 8.0, can support 64-bit OS???

I am so sorry for my poor knowledge :(

Thank you,
ICE
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, you need version 8.1 (unless on HP Itanium).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ICE
Participant

Post by ICE »

Dear Ray,

Do you mean DSJ Server version 8.1 support 64 bit OS???

Thank you so much for your time.
ICE

ray.wurlod wrote:No, you need version 8.1 (unless on HP Itanium). ...
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Yes, at 8.1, as Ray has stated.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I have just finished one site on AIX 6.1 (64-bit) and am embarking on another. I am not sure about Windows - certainly Windows 2008 is not yet a supported server. Check the IBM web site.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I went from 8.0x to 8.1 on AIX and we had to convert our buildops from the 32bit to the 64 compiler/linker
ICE
Participant

Post by ICE »

Dear Ray,

Yes. I have been checked on IBM website and I do not see for 64 bit window OS :(
That's why I asked you again. I also called IBM and still waiting their response. Very slow response:(

Thank you all,
ICE

ray.wurlod wrote:I have just finished one site on AIX 6.1 (64-bit) and am embarking on another. I am not sure about Windows - certainly Windows 2008 is not yet a supported server. Check the IBM web site. ...
ICE
Participant

Post by ICE »

Dear All,

Today I received email from IBM support. They confirm that DSJ win server 8.x are 32-bit application and it does not support 64-bit OS at all :(

Thank u for ur time,
ICE
ArndW wrote:I went from 8.0x to 8.1 on AIX and we had to convert our buildops from the 32bit to the 64 compiler/linker ...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I would think it would run as a 64bit O/S is perfectly capable of running a 32bit app - are they saying that it won't work at all or just that there's no 64bit version of DataStage for that O/S? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ICE
Participant

Post by ICE »

Dear Chulett,

Do you mean DSJ win server 32-bit application also can run on 64-bit???

Here is their repose.

"DataStage8.0 or 8.1 for windows platform, they are only compatible with 32bit environment, not 64bit. However, you can use 8.0 or 8.1 on 64bit Unix, Linux and Solaris environment."

Thank you so much.

chulett wrote:I would think it would run as a 64bit O/S is perfectly capable of running a 32bit app - are they saying that it won't work at all or just that there's no 64bit version of DataStage for that O/S? :?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

All I'm saying is that pretty much any 64bit O/S can still run 32bit applications, although the opposite is not possible. If this wasn't true hardly anyone would be using a 64bit version of Windows, IMHO, being locked into running only true 64bit applications would make it impractical. For Windows click here and then note the two "Can I run" questions a little ways down.

Their reply is a little ambiguous to me, if you still want to pursue this with them I'd specifically ask them to qualify their answer in light of the information noted above. There may be some reason they haven't noted that precludes a 32bit version of DataStage from running properly in 64bit Windows.
-craig

ICE
Participant

Post by ICE »

Dear Chulett,

It is really a valuable information for me :-)
Thank you so much for your time. If it is possible, please ask for me. I really want to make sure of it.

Thank you again for your help :)
ICE

chulett wrote:All I'm saying is that pretty much any 64bit O/S can still run
32bit applications, although the opposite is not possible. If this wasn't true hardly anyone would be using a 64bit version of Windows, IMHO, being locked into running only true 64bit applications would make it impractical. For Windows click here and then note the two "Can I run" questions a little ways down.

Their reply is a little ambiguous to me, if you still want to pursue this with them I'd specifically ask them to qualify their answer in light of the information noted above. There may be some reason they haven't noted that precludes a 32bit version of DataStage from running properly in 64bit Windows.
:D
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ICE wrote:If it is possible, please ask for me.
Sorry, not possible. You'll have to do that yourself.
-craig

ICE
Participant

Post by ICE »

Dear Chulett,

Ok. I would like to ask myself. I have to check with Microsoft. Right? But here what I am confusing is how the microsoft will certify DSJ can install in their 64-bit OS??? Does their info be reliable???
I am so sorry for my poor knowledge :(

Thank you for your time,

chulett wrote:
ICE wrote:If it is possible, please ask for me.
Sorry, not possible. You'll have to do that yourself.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The best source of information is the vendor from whom the product was purchased, and who should be providing first-line support.

It then becomes their problem who to approach - in their place I'd first be asking IBM, not Microsoft.