can i output to NULL from transformer ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dennisroser
Premium Member
Premium Member

can i output to NULL from transformer ?

Post by dennisroser »

Hi

I have made a job that runs a stored procedure with the Stored Procedure Stage

The return value from this stored procedure is being put in the UserStatusArea of the job, for later reference in a sequence.

This is done in a transformer where i am calling a little routine writen in basic, that uses the DSSetUserStatus function to pass the return value to the UserStatusArea.

This is working fine

Problem is, a transformer needs an output link, so i gave it a text file to write something in.

i don't need that file for anything, so i am thinking if anybody has any good ideas of how to avoid this.

In a paralllel job i could just output to a peek stage but not in a server job.

Can i output to NULL from the transformer ?

any other ideas to avoid this extra file

Regards

Peter
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not directly, but you can use a Sequential File stage to append to the file .\NUL (which exists in every folder).

Tip: don't try to overwrite .\NUL - you have to append to it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dennisroser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dennisroser »

[quote="ray.wurlod"]Not directly, but you can use a Sequential File stage to append to the file .\NUL (which exists in every folder).

Tip: don't try to overwrite .\NUL - you have to append to it.[/quote]

a little mistake (but i bet significant) in my starting post. This is in aLinux environment, does this have a similar concept ?

regards

PEter
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, in any form of UNIX (including Linux) the file name is /dev/null. It remains the case that you must append to it, not overwrite it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dennisroser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dennisroser »

[quote="ray.wurlod"]Yes, in any form of UNIX (including Linux) the file name is /dev/null. It remains the case that you must append to it, not overwrite it.[/quote]

and that worked , thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmmm... I don't recall ever having to worry about overwrite v. append when outputting to /dev/null, always left it at the default of overwrite I do believe.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers