Scheduled Jobs Missing

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

karunakar.ds
Participant

Scheduled Jobs Missing

Post by karunakar.ds »

Hi,

Whenever any changes happened to below MV Refresh job schedules, couple of jobs are getting missed out from the schedule. However, I did not see this issue when rest of the job schedules are changed. We are using Datastage 7.5.1 for scheduling these jobs.

MV Refresh Jobs:
LEDGER_BAL_MV
CMP_CC_HH_MV

Missing Jobs:
ORA_SJ_PGE_HIST
SJ_HS_JRNL_TRANS

We have been getting this issue only when the MV Refresh job schedules are getting changed. Moreover there is no dependency or relation between these jobs.

Could you please help me what would be the issue?

Thanks,
Karunakar
karun
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I doubt it has anything to do with your "MV" jobs specifically. Schedules are only shown to the scheduling user, are you sure you are checking with the proper userid?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
karunakar.ds
Participant

Post by karunakar.ds »

Hi Chulett,

I logged in with the same User that was used to schedule the jobs. More over I can see that the jobs are intact before I change the MV Refresh job schedules.

Not sure what could be the reason. Did anyone come across this issue before?

Thanks,
Karunakar
karun
Abhijeet1980
Participant

Post by Abhijeet1980 »

Hello Karunakar,

DS does not have an inbuilt scheduler hence on UNIX it asks for help from AT (Utility for UNIX scheduling) or Cron (Master scheduler).

Once you schedule a job in DS, please logon with the same user on the command prompt and see youself. Use at -l for this purpose.

If someone issues at -r, all your scheduled jobs shall vanish. Get in touch with your System Admin if required.

P.S.
@Experts,
Many organizations spend thousands on buying a scheduling tool (Ctrl-M is my favorite). For an ETL tool, it is necessary to have this functionality on top of workflow (Called Sequence job in DataStage).

Many regards,
Kind regards
Abhijit Gaikwad
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That information is out of date. With version 8 Information Server does have its own, in-built scheduling service and DataStage leverages that.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Abhijeet1980
Participant

Post by Abhijeet1980 »

Right, thanks for sharing the information.

But, Karunakar's thread is about DataStage 7.5.1 and his query about his schedules suddenly vanishing.

Even with DataStage 8, the scheduling and reporting capabilities are cause of WebSphere. Situation very much similar to that of DataStage 7.1 or 7.5.x where UNIX provided the help or managed via Ctrl-M or similar tool.

In my opinion, DataStage is still handicapped when it comes to scheduling. Is it so difficult to write a small server program in C or assembly to behave like a personal scheduler ?

I wonder sometimes for what programs does our washing machines, television sets or refrigerators use for they too must be needing program schedules. Also, If they are in place why cant the same code be borrowed then.

Thanks.

Many regards,
Kind regards
Abhijit Gaikwad