Letting People Run ETL without needing to know the Passwords

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tracy
Participant

Letting People Run ETL without needing to know the Passwords

Post by tracy »

When I hit Run in Director in our production environment, the default parameters are those I used in my dev environment so I have to type in the production parameter values. I don't like this because:

1. Sometimes I mistype and my job fails.
2. Not everybody who can kick off the ETL will know what the passwords are.

I have worked around issue #1 by Scheduling and Rescheduling my jobs in Director. Once I've scheduled it, I can reschedule it and it retains the parameter values I used last time.

But the my issue with #2 still remains. There are people in our group who may need to reset the ETL and kick it off again if something happens, but these people do not know what the passwords are. And unfortunately they haven't been given access to Schedule.

Are there workarounds to this issue?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You could always use the 'Set defaults' option under the Job menu in Director to set the proper runtime defaults. That rather than constantly overriding the design time defaults.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tracy
Participant

Post by tracy »

Thanks! It's the simple things that elude me... and make me happy. Thanks for pointing that out. We'll definitely use it.