Checkpoint Does not WorkWhen A Sequence is Stopped

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

olgc
Participant

Checkpoint Does not WorkWhen A Sequence is Stopped

Post by olgc »

Hi there,

When a sequence is abended prematurely, it has status "Aborted/Restartable". When it's restarted, it starts from the failed point or the checkpoint.

When a sequence is stopped, it logged an item as below:

Item #: 176
Event ID: 175
Timestamp: 2009-10-08 16:20:55
Type: Info
User Name: xxx
Message: CxxJGGroup..JobControl (DSWaitForJob): Job (CxxJGGroup) Stopped

And it has status "Stopped/Restartable". When it's restarted, it can't and logged another item as below:

Item #: 177
Event ID: 176
Timestamp: 2009-10-09 15:13:27
Type: Warning
User Name: xxx

Hello, if the sequence has to be reset then it can be started, its checkpoint will be gone and it is not restartable. So what's about the status "Stopped/Restartable"? The "restartable" here is not restartable. Any one knows how to make a stopped sequence restartable?

Thanks,
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can't. I have no idea why it works that way or what "Stopped/Restartable" is really supposed to mean when it cannot be restarted from the point of failure. :roll:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Who stopped it? "Stopped" means stopped by user intervention.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I assume someone pressed the Stop button in Director. I've done the same in the past and made a crazy assumption that when I saw 'Stopped/Restartable' as the status that I would get a checkpoint restart when I ran the job next. Problem is you cannot, you must reset it before it can be run again and thus blow away all of your checkpoints.

Smells like a bug to me. I guess I need to see if it still works that way in the 8.x world.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
olgc
Participant

Post by olgc »

[quote="ray.wurlod"]Who stopped it? "Stopped" means stopped by user intervention. ...[/quote]

It's stopped by another job having trouble. These jobs are running in parallel.
olgc
Participant

Post by olgc »

[quote="chulett"]You can't. I have no idea why it works that way or what "Stopped/Restartable" is really supposed to mean when it [i]cannot[/i] be restarted from the point of failure. :roll:[/quote]

That's really bad. It destroys the great checkpoint feature completely if this defect is not fixed. IBM should fix the problem. When a sequence is stopped by others and its status is "Stopped/Restartable", it's treated as "Aborted/Restartable".

Thanks,