Primary Key violation on Update/Insert

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wwalker
Premium Member
Premium Member

Primary Key violation on Update/Insert

Post by wwalker »

We have an interesting problem that I am having trouble understanding...

We have an environment that has been running daily for about 9 years and is quite stable. However, yesterday, on a load of about 100,000 records, a single record failed with :

[DataStage][SQL Client][ODBC][Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Cannot insert duplicate key row in object 'dbo.L1D1_xxxx' with unique index 'L1D1_xxxx_IDX_xxxx_NO'.
SQLSTATE=01000, DBMS.CODE=3621

I have confirmed that the record exists at source and target with the identical DWID key, and the FKY lookup for this key correctly worked (91,357 existing DWID lookups succeeded out of 91,365 total records...in other words, only 8 new incoming records). There is only one instance of this record being written to the target.

Normally, this should not be an issue, as with Update/Insert (and also Insert/Update which also fails on this record), the Insert should fail and then pass to the Update resulting in a successful load.

Looking at the target database, we see that the record was updated the previous day successfully before failing the following day.

I did experiment with commit intervals also, setting Rows per Transaction to 1 (had been 0). Same effect...

There is definitely a problem with this record, as this same error occurs on the same line in QA and in PRD...

Any of those good brains out there experience something similar??
Wade Walker
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

As the jobs are working fine for more than 9 years, it is hard to nail down.

Anyhow first things comes to mind is
1.) NULL in data
2.) Trim spaces
3.) More than actual key columns defined
4.) Change capture values incorrect.
wwalker
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by wwalker »

This was a data related issue...the UPDATE failed on a unique index due to a duplicate SAP customer number..which should theoretically be impossible...perhaps someone manually "enhanced" the data?

Thanks...L8r!

Wade
Wade Walker
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I think it's important to discover whether this was, in fact, the case so that you can educate your users about the dangers of manually enhancing data.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.