link collector

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

prerana dixit
Participant

link collector

Post by prerana dixit »

Can link collector be used to perform union between two queries used in ODBC stage?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Yes, while a link collector stage performs no SQL "join" functions, it does perform, in effect, a "UNION" of n-input links into one output link regardless of values as long as the columns are identical.
prerana dixit
Participant

Post by prerana dixit »

Do we have to use link collector and link partitioner in pair or single works fine i.e to use link collector do we need to use link partitioner as well?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The two are independant of each other and do not need to be used as a pair.
Fission_Attackk
Participant

Post by Fission_Attackk »

ArndW wrote:The two are independant of each other and do not need to be used as a pair. ...
hi can some one tell me what is meta data.
Einstein flunked out of school twice;Beethoven was deaf;Helen Keller was blind;I think fission_attackk has got a good chance...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sure, all kinds of people can.

http://bit.ly/D7RaW

:wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
prerana dixit
Participant

Post by prerana dixit »

ArndW wrote:The two are independant of each other and do not need to be used as a pair. ...
Actually i have a job that has a source as DRS stage with source query as union between two tables.This this stg writes to a table and then to a hash file.The source query takes longer for execution and hence the job.Are there any ways(other than optimising source query and enabling row buffering on) to optimize the performance of job?Say by using IPCs or Link partitioner or link collector.HOw to use these stages?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Those are a lot of questions for one post. Since a server job link collector cannot be set to take input from one link, then the other you cannot optimize that way. Do you have PX available?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Your best bet is to optimize the source query and presize the hashed file (Minimum Modulus) properly.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sweety123
Participant

Post by sweety123 »

Hi,

Does all the links to a link collector stage necessarily should have the same schema??

Or is it that the schema's can be different but only the matching columns can be passed to the output link?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Link Collector requires identical record schema on all links (inputs and output).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
HariK
Participant

Post by HariK »

The Link collector Stage can be used independently if you have set the row buffer inter process property active in job properties.

from what I recall what Link collector does is an SQL 'UNION ALL' functionality not the SQL 'UNION' functionality. So you might have to design your job to remove duplicates such as using an intermediate hash file