Server v. 7.5.x to Informational Server v 8.1

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

stefanfrost1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Server v. 7.5.x to Informational Server v 8.1

Post by stefanfrost1 »

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with a Datastage Server Edition upgrade/migration to Informational Server, not converting jobs to parallel... Is it a simple operation or are there any types of jobs that doesn't run on 8.1 without re-programming. I know its a touch question maybe better suited for IBM support but I am just curious about the expert experiences.

Any gains by this operation?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It IS trouble-free. But there's no performance gain - indeed there appears to be a slight performance diminution, probably caused by needing to interface with the Information Server services and the remote repository.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
stefanfrost1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by stefanfrost1 »

Is there anything to gain by being connected to the new repository? Maybe some new functionality is available? Metadata benefits etc...

The plan is to slowly transition some jobs to parallel were needed, and IBM demands us to upgrade to 8.1, which costs a lot more than the license we are using currently. Need to figure out the benefits and value that against the cost...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

IBM should be happy to provide those details to you while they've got your arm behind your back. There are quite a number of improvements in the product from 7.5 to 8.1 but (as noted) it does come at a price. I'd wager that Vincent has blogged on the subject over at ITToolbox. More than once. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
stefanfrost1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by stefanfrost1 »

I've read his blog and it gave me a few insight, but I always want more :) Thanks all!
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

IBM cannot demand that you upgrade to 8.1 or switch to parallel jobs. They can try and persuade you for the additional revenue but they continue to support server edition customers on 7.5.3. If you are processing data within your batch window and don't make a lot of enhancements there is no need to switch.