differences between 7.5 and 8.1

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sureshchandra
Participant

differences between 7.5 and 8.1

Post by sureshchandra »

Hi all,
What are the major differences between 7.5 and 8.1?

Regards
Chandra
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Quite a bit, primarily how the metadata repository is now 'open' and stored in a relational database and how the client communicates with the server. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. There may be something in our FAQ forum (I don't recall) and I'm sure our own Vincent McBurney has blogged about it. Somewhere.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Storing the metadata in a relationaldatabase was a fantastic move. Almost all other ETL tools (e.g Informatica) provide this feature

Regards
Sreeni
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Fantastic is a relative term. I have a variety of reasons why I do think this was a positive development, but "just because" is not one of them. Just curious, why do you think it was fantastic?
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Especially since it seems to be purposefully obfuscated.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It can be shown that UniVerse is a relational database.

The fact that it can store nested relations in the same table is a bonus. You don't have to - you can design UniVerse databases to be totally first, second and third normal form designs.

It's just that non first normal form yields more compact storage and faster "join" results.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.