Parallel Jobs hanging in DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

arvind_ds
Participant

Parallel Jobs hanging in DataStage

Post by arvind_ds »

I am running a job sequence containing 7 parallel jobs. All the 7 jobs are running in parallel. Each job has below design.

Sequence File ---> Transformer ---> DB2 Table(DB2 EE Stage, Load and truncate method)

Sometimes all the individual jobs are in hanged state. The datastage director shows all the jobs in running state but no data is actually getting inserted into underlying table. Then I use to stop all 7 parallel jobs and clear the underlying table from load pending state and re-start the main job sequence.

After doing this, the job sequence runs fine. Need to know why the jobs are getting hanged.

I checked the network traffic, Memory, CPU Utilization, table space etc...Everything is fine.

Don't know why this thing is happening. These jobs are in production and I have executed them more than 100 times so far without any trouble.

Any idea.?
Arvind
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Are there any ds phantoms or osh running ?
arvind_ds
Participant

Post by arvind_ds »

No
Arvind
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You say 'underlying table' singular - are all seven jobs writing to the same table? If not, I would think getting your DBA involved to monitor things when they are 'hung' would be the next logical step.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
arvind_ds
Participant

Post by arvind_ds »

All 7 jobs are writing to 7 different tables. Cross checked with the DBA, but no activity is going on these 7 tables when the jobs appear in hanged state.
Arvind
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Try identifying one process and doing a "truss" on it to see which (if any) system calls are being generated.
gpatton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gpatton »

You mention that these jobs are running in production fine. I am assuming that your problem is in other environment. Are the database tablespaces the same in that environment as they are in prod? When DB2 executes load it does some locking at tablespace level.