merge 4 flat files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sunitha_cts
Participant

merge 4 flat files

Post by sunitha_cts »

hi,

u have 4 flat files ,in thes 4 files i have 14 column names same,how could i merge them into single flat file.they are no common values in them.
Thanks
sunitha
vkhandel
Participant

Re: merge 4 flat files

Post by vkhandel »

u can merge them using FUNNEL Stage.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

So can anyone else.

U is the name of one of our posters.

The second person personal pronoun in English is spelled "you", not "u".
Please strive for a professional standard of written English on DSXchange. It assists those whose first language is not English, if they don't have to decode your SMS-style abbreviations.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

But I can't as I do not have funnel in server jobs :-(

But can do link collector or simple "cat file1 file2...."

Btw, what do you mean by 'merge' ?
nayanpatra
Participant

Use Funnel Stage

Post by nayanpatra »

Funnel stage will solve the problem. If you want sorted output, then you can try with the sort funnel option. Or else sequence funnel option is the best to my opinion as per the performance is concerned.
Nayan
datskosaraju
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Use Funnel Stage

Post by datskosaraju »

I don't think funnel stage is available in Server edition. As stated by sainath, "Link collector"
"It's easier to go down a hill than up it but the view is much better at the top"
-Bennet,Arnold
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:!: As noted, there is no Funnel stage in Server jobs. Please pay attention to the job type when posting.

And as normal, Sunitha needs to do a better job of asking questions to get proper answers. What do you mean by "merge" here, especially after making the comment that "they have no common values in them"? :? While they may not have common "values" is the metadata the same in all files? If so can you not simply "cat" the four of them together? If not, you need to explain why not.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sunitha_cts
Participant

Post by sunitha_cts »

Hi,

moving all the 4 flat files into one flat file,so finally that file is used as input for another job.
i have about 14 columns common in each of the 4 flat files,so i am manually entering the columns and assigning 'null' to the columns not required.
I THINKK THEY IS OTHER OPTION TO DO IN SERVER JOBS.
Thanks
sunitha
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Answer this question. Consider row #1 in each of the four files. Will these result in one row or in four rows in the target file? (We really do need to understand what you mean by "merge".)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.