Sort stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

subrat
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sort stage

Post by subrat »

Hi,

I am using a shared container in a Job. In the shared container the source file is taking from a shared path and doing the sort in sort stage on next
stage.
After job running some time when i saw the monitor through DS director its showing some 32670000 no. records reading to sort stage in container and no records as output. when job didnt move beyond this, i rerun the job again. After reading same number of records through sort, job again hanged on that point. I suspect the the space might be the issue in sort stage, but there are enough space in temp area.

Need sugg. what might be the problem for this.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you had run out of space the job would have aborted. Have you monitored the system while the job is running - particularly disk IO and CPU usage? When the job "hung", how did you stop it?

Large sorts can take a long time...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you specified a particular temporary directory pathname in the Sort stage?

With that many rows there will be a substantial delay between the final row being read from import and the first row being output, because the actual sort needs to happen in between. Are you, perhaps, merely being impatient?

Can you sort the file using a UNIX sort, to get some idea of how much time might be required? The server Sort stage is less efficient than the UNIX sort command, so will take longer.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In other words, be patient. The Server Sort stage is not the speediest animal on the planet.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That would be the ambiguous puzuma.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, but not on this world. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Douglas Adams wrote:If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat.
This is wrong. The first thing you'll have on your hands is a number of severe wounds from cat claws.