TNS:Could not resolve service name

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

csri
Participant

TNS:Could not resolve service name

Post by csri »

Hi,

I am trying to view data from Oracle OCI8i stage and receiving "ORA-12154 TNS:Could not resolve service name" error.

Details:
server job reading from a sequential file and writting to a Oracle OCI8i stage. I am using environment variables for Oracle user id, password and connect string. When I try to view data job parameters window pops up. I have added the environment variables to the job and define $PROJDEF as the default values. so when the pop-up comes I am just clicking OK. But this is resulting in error. If I enter the actual values for the parameters here in the parameter window it works fine. The datastage server and oracle are installed on the same windows server.

Also, when I was looking for solution on this problem there was many suggestions to use tnsping from datastage admin to check for connectivity. When I tried from DataStage admin -> command and executed tnsping <servername> it did not work. I have received message "TNSPING not in VOB". Any help is appreciated on these issues.

Thanks,
Srinivas
vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Please add the database entry in tnsnames.ora file

Post by vsi »

Please add the database entry in tnsnames.ora file,Please send email to DBA,he will add it.
Thanks
csri
Participant

Re: Please add the database entry in tnsnames.ora file

Post by csri »

Please note I am able to view the data by manually entering the parameters instead of defaulting to enviroment variable values. Also, I have added and verified that a database entry exists in tnsnames.ora file.
attu
Participant

Re: TNS:Could not resolve service name

Post by attu »

csri wrote:Hi,

Also, when I was looking for solution on this problem there was many suggestions to use tnsping from datastage admin to check for connectivity. When I tried from DataStage admin -> command and executed tnsping <servername> it did not work. I have received message "TNSPING not in VOB". Any help is appreciated on these issues.

Thanks,
Srinivas

Code: Select all

Go to Command and issue this command.

>SH -c "tnsping datasourcename"
csri
Participant

Post by csri »

Code: Select all

Go to Command and issue this command.

>SH -c "tnsping datasourcename"
[/quote]

I missed to mention that I also tried this command and it returned saying this command do not avaible in this environment. I guess "SH" is for UNIX environment.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Just login your Windows server box and from the command prompt, e.g. C:\, issue the tnsping "service_name".
pandujoy
Participant

Post by pandujoy »

try importing table definitions using the plugin ....if u can see the DSN of urs....then its for sure that there is no issue with tnsnames.ora file...if not post the tnsnames.ora file ...we will take care
DSRajesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSRajesh »

Hi

You please first check TNSNAMES.ORA in ORACLE_HOME\NETWORK\ADMIN if it is windows.
You can find Alias for the Service_Name or SID in that file.
while connecting to ORACLE at Database source name : Give the alias namebut not the actual service name/sid.
example:

ECUST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = ECUSTOMS)
)
)
here use ECUST which is Alias name you need to use.
RD
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You guys need to read the thread and not just jump onto the end, trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

csri wrote:Also, when I was looking for solution on this problem there was many suggestions to use tnsping from datastage admin to check for connectivity. When I tried from DataStage admin -> command and executed tnsping <servername> it did not work. I have received message "TNSPING not in VOB". (sic) Any help is appreciated on these issues.
So I assume this was an academic exercise as your connectivity was just fine. As noted, "tnsping" is an Oracle command line utility, meaning you run it from your operating system's command prompt, not from DataStage. For Windows that means "Start -> Run -> "cmd" and then typing "tnsping <instance>" from the DOS prompt. And note this will only work if you A) have $ORACLE_HOME/bin in your PATH or B) "cd" to that directory first.
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

csri wrote:If I enter the actual values for the parameters here in the parameter window it works fine.
What exact 7.x version are you running? I'm wondering if it is an older version since you're still using the OCI8 stage. And I seem to recall that older versions may not fully support the $PROJDEF (etc) concept.

Also, does the job run using the environment variables and it's just "view data" that doesn't work or do they not work at all for you?
-craig