Relation Between Datastage And XML

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sureshreddy2009
Participant

Relation Between Datastage And XML

Post by sureshreddy2009 »

:( Hi my seniors told me to learn XML, i think in future i want to use XML also along with datastage, right now iam working in Datastage 8.0 parallel, may i know the relation between XML and datastage
Suresh Reddy
ETL Developer
Research Operations

"its important to know in which direction we are moving rather than where we are"
hamzaqk
Participant

Post by hamzaqk »

there is no relationship. i think they are on a break :lol:
Teradata Certified Master V2R5
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

XML (extensible markup language) is a way of encapsulate metadata (in the form of tags) with data. DataStage can read and write XML via specific stages (XML Input and XML output).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sureshreddy2009
Participant

Good to Hear

Post by sureshreddy2009 »

ray.wurlod wrote:XML (extensible markup language) is a way of encapsulate metadata (in the form of tags) with data. DataStage can read and write XML via specific stages (XML Input and XML output). ...
Your post help me in updating some knowledge, but can u please give me clarity about in any where we are using XML syntax related to datastage for client's purpose.
Suresh Reddy
ETL Developer
Research Operations

"its important to know in which direction we are moving rather than where we are"
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Hi Suresh...

XML is just a format, a "protocol" for representing data. In some ways, it is no different than a csv file that has column names on the first line. Well designed XML, as Ray notes, carries its metadata with it...metadata that represents internal structure and relationship between data elements as well as the names of individual elements. <name>Ernie</name> is a single XML "tag" that identifies the string "Ernie" as a name.

DataStage of course, is a tool for manipulating data. At the high level, XML is no different than flat files, DB2, ODBC, etc.... just another source and target.

XML has a long and colorful history. There are millions of resources on the web and in books to read about it. It started as a way to represent textual ideas, growing out of an early 90's standard called SGML. It was then adopted for data in the late 90's (some XML purists still say it was "hijacked" by the database vendors) and is becoming a farily standard protocol for transferring data in messages and transactions......

Glance at www.w3.org and www.w3.org/xml ...that will start you really deep, perhaps too deep, but give you an idea of the standard....from there do some searches on "XML introduction" or "XML basics" and you'll find days worth of good material to augment the threads here.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And there are literally tons of books out there on the subject. Go to a site like Amazon where users review the books and browse there. There's also a document we uploaded to Kim Duke's website in his Tips section that covers XML 'Best Practices' in DataStage, well worth anyone's time to go through that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers