Salesforce Integration using web service

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srai
Participant

Salesforce Integration using web service

Post by srai »

Hi,

we are using web service operation for some critical salesforce integration.

We are able to make the updation in SF.com using web services but the return we are not getting the way we wanted.

My requirement is something like this--

There are three rows in source named as A,B and C that we are getting from Database and same we updating in SF.com. In returns we want to have output as

A True
B True
C False

means for record A and B update is successful and for C there is failure.
We are able to get True or False in return but not getting the respective dataset like for which record there is success or for what records there is an failure.

Thanks in advance!!

Santosh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you tested SF.com with something else? Maybe it simply does not deliver the information you want.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
srai
Participant

Post by srai »

ray.wurlod wrote:Have you tested SF.com with something else? Maybe it simply does not deliver the information you want. ...
Yeh Ray,

In normal configuration it returns only true and false and not the respective dataset. But I just wanted to know that in any way it is possible to configure dataset as well as part of response.

Thanks
Santosh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You should be able to pass that 'missing' information through the stage I would think, which is what - the WS Transformer? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

The WSTransformer is not able to handle complex SOAP bodies, nor attachments. SF.com could be doing many creative things to send back this "dataset"...perhaps as a set of rows in a sub-node within the SOAP body, or in some other fashion. If it's in the SOAP body, then you can easily get it... I've described this in threads elsewhere, but basically, just send the "whole" SOAP envelope downstream by having one large column on your WSTransofrmer output link and indicate that column on the Message Tab. Parse it with XMLInput later downstream.....

...SF.com uses some very complex methods...not only for this, but also for retrieval of rows that gets items in batches, sign on, and others......it's all do-able with WSTransformer, but can get exceedingly complex as you dig into more and more of SF.com functionality. Their services were written for fairly straightforward development of a Java client application (or other SOAp capable 3gl development tool) but not necessarily for invocation from ETL. I wrote a prototype for our engineering team using WSTransformer, with the conclusion that the best way to approach SF.com when you have nested, nested, nested calls is to have a dedicated Stage. Your DS Jobs will have to get very detailed in order to make each and every call. This is why we now offer a SF.com interface, which encompasses all the critical services that you might want to utilize.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
srai
Participant

Post by srai »

eostic wrote:The WSTransformer is not able to handle complex SOAP bodies, nor attachments. SF.com could be doing many creative things to send back this "dataset"...perhaps as a set of rows in a sub-node within the SOAP body, or in some other fashion. If it's in the SOAP body, then you can easily get it... I've described this in threads elsewhere, but basically, just send the "whole" SOAP envelope downstream by having one large column on your WSTransofrmer output link and indicate that column on the Message Tab. Parse it with XMLInput later downstream.....

...SF.com uses some very complex methods...not only for this, but also for retrieval of rows that gets items in batches, sign on, and others......it's all do-able with WSTransformer, but can get exceedingly complex as you dig into more and more of SF.com functionality. Their services were written for fairly straightforward development of a Java client application (or other SOAp capable 3gl development tool) but not necessarily for invocation from ETL. I wrote a prototype for our engineering team using WSTransformer, with the conclusion that the best way to approach SF.com when you have nested, nested, nested calls is to have a dedicated Stage. Your DS Jobs will have to get very detailed in order to make each and every call. This is why we now offer a SF.com interface, which encompasses all the critical services that you might want to utilize.

Ernie
Thanks Ernie!!