Getting Warnings/Job Finished status of child Sequences

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

psluser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Getting Warnings/Job Finished status of child Sequences

Post by psluser »

Hi,

We have a master sequence which calls a number of jobs as well as sequences. If a job directly called from master sequence fails, we see its status as 3[Aborted] in Director log of master sequence. But if a job called from a child sequence fails, we see status for that sequence as success in our master sequence logs.

Is there a way by which we can see a warning or anything in Director logs of Master Sequence to deduce that a job called by child sequence has failed?

Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You need to abort the child sequence when a job it is running aborts for the 'master' to notice.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Checking "log warnings after activities that finish with status other than OK" in every job sequence is my preferred way of making warnings (as well as errors) visible "up the chain of control".

I try always to create jobs that don't abort.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As do I - with the exception of checkpointed Sequence jobs, they must abort in order to be restartable from the point of failure.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

One can design in point-of-failure restart without relying on the brain-dead automatic mechanism.

Grognard.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:lol:
-craig

psluser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by psluser »

Thanks Ray & Craig.

I am going ahead with 'log warnings after activities that finish with status other than OK'.