UNICODE Characters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you have NLS enabled?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

yes i have NLS enabled.

I tried for a couple of options also like ISO8859-1+MARKS, ISO8859-1 along with UTF-8.

The issue is, the logic is working fine with most of the characters but it can't identify anything whose hex value is > 256 for these characters it's reading as ? through seq file no matter what NLS map i am trying where as in test routine console it's able to identify and convert it according to the logic.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Well ISO8859-1 only goes up to 255, so that will never work. What happened when you tried UTF8 as the map (and did you set UTF8-CS as the client-server map in this case)? Are you seeing the ? (unhandled character) only in View Data, or also in the output file? Finally have you tried using the pseudo-map NONE ?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Not to hijack a thread - but does the pseudo-map NONE just do a pass-through of the data? It isn't in the doc...
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you need to check characters beyond 255, use UniChar() and UniSeq() rather than Char() and Seq(). Convert() is not affected.

NONE is a pseudo-map that, yes, does a pass-through. Its the correct map to use for working with hashed files that don't need to be accessed by non-NLS systems.