Regarding Hash File Usage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

G SHIVARANJANI
Participant

Regarding Hash File Usage

Post by G SHIVARANJANI »

Hi,

Can any one help me undeerstand, If a hash file can be used like a funnel stage in DS Parallal edition .

Thanks in Anticipation
Shivaranjani
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No. It can't.

For starters, Hashed File stage is a passive stage whereas Funnel is (technically) an active stage.

And the correct terminology is HASHED file, not "hash" file.

I guess if you were really clever about generating guaranteed unique keys on all inputs and made sure that the data volume did not exceed what the hashed file is capable of storing (2GB with 32-bit addressing), and you didn't mind that the Hashed File stage will not open its output until all input links are closed, then you could mimic the functionality.

Apart from that, just remember the German soldier from Laugh In - "verrry interesting - but stupid!".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
G SHIVARANJANI
Participant

Post by G SHIVARANJANI »

ray.wurlod wrote:No. It can't.

For starters, Hashed File stage is a passive stage whereas Funnel is (technically) an active stage.

And the correct terminology is HASHED file, not "hash" file.

I guess if yo ...

Hi Ray

Thanku,

But i have tried to send inputs from two sequential files (with same columns) to a hashed file which is later moved to another sequential file, I could see the records from the first two files are together coming as a result in the third squentioal file.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Get a premium membership and read the rest of my response.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
G SHIVARANJANI
Participant

Post by G SHIVARANJANI »

ray.wurlod wrote:Get a premium membership and read the rest of my response. ...
Ok