Unique Properties to pass to a Java Transform Stage?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DHallam
Participant

Unique Properties to pass to a Java Transform Stage?

Post by DHallam »

Hi,

I'm trying to create a chain of Java Transform activities in DS 8.1 and need each Java Transform activity to have access to a common id that is unique across multiple jobs invoked by DataStage (i.e. a unique job id). I need to know this at initialisation of the stage, i.e. before the data starts flowing. Each transformer runs in isolation in its own JVM and I can only pass properties in via the text area in the stage properties window. I'm currently able to pass fixed job parameters in using

Code: Select all

value=#MyData#
syntax but these pieces of data are fixed and certainly not unique.

Can anyone help me find out how I can initialise all my stages with the same unique id that is generated dynamically by DataStage?

Many thanks,

Dave
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you not simply create another job parameter that will be held unique?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DHallam
Participant

Post by DHallam »

If you mean create a job parameter for each job that's different, then not really. The job will be run by the scheduler and each time it needs to be different.

I think I've got a workaround that uses a sequence that runs a command line activity to run uuidgen. I can then use that as a parameter to the parallel job that contains the Java activities. Then use the #MyData# syntax to pass it to the Java code.

Many thanks,

Dave