Importing Universe table definitions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Importing Universe table definitions

Post by PhilHibbs »

I've been working on a DS_AUDIT query tool for the last few days - I can't work out how to import the table metadata, though. I've read the "Accessing UniVerse and UniData Databases from DataStage" pdf file but I can't get it to work. I get as far as the "Import Meta Data (Universe Tables)" window, I leave the DSN as "localuv" because that seems to be the only option, but when I enter "AUDIT" in the "Name Contains:" box, it finds nothing. If I leave it blank then the only thing it finds is a few hashed files, the EXAMPLE1 tables, and a couple of other things. What am I doing wrong?
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You're not doing anything wrong, I don't believe you can find the "system" tables like that. AFAIK, you'll need to manually do a "LIST.DICT DS_AUDIT" from the Administrator or a TCL prompt to get the metadata. That or we're both missing something. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
LenGreenwood
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by LenGreenwood »

Files whose Description field (in the VOC entry) contains certain strings, such as "DataStage", get filtered out early on in the process.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

Thanks, I scraped the LIST.DICT output and got what I wanted.

p.s. Wot no file upload area? What's the best way to share my DataStage toys with DSXchange members?
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I create a synonym for the table name (such as MY_AUDIT) and import that. Then rename the imported table definition. This means that the actual metadata remain untouched by human hands, which I always strive to achieve.

To create the synonym

Code: Select all

COPYI FROM VOC 'DS_AUDIT','MY_AUDIT'
To delete the synonym after the import has been done

Code: Select all

DELETE FROM VOC WHERE @ID = 'MY_AUDIT';
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.