access to oracle

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

knowledge
Participant

access to oracle

Post by knowledge »

Hi ,

My source is MS access but I can not load using ODBC as datastage is installed on unix and access is windows ..
We do not have drivers for ODBC ..
What is the other way I can load MS access to Oracle.

Can we do it on Database (MS access - Oracle) level without using Datastage ?
I found one tool which converts Access to oracle(online) but it is one time load and converts from local copy of database ( on my desktop)
I want to conect to remote Ms access database ,extract data and load into staging area in oracle tables .

Please guide ....

Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can do separate steps - one to dump the Access data to files and transfer them to UNIX, then a DataStage job to load to Oracle. An Enterprise Scheduler can easily tie them together. Or purchase ODBC drivers and do everything from DataStage.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
knowledge
Participant

Post by knowledge »

Thanks for quick replay,

How can i dump the Ms access into files ...i have read priveleges to MS access database ( on remote server) ..there is no funding to buy ODBC drive ...have to find some round about way to load data on regular basis ...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There must be some "Access People" there you can work with to accomplish that. Me, I have no clue and don't really want one. :wink:
-craig

knowledge
Participant

Post by knowledge »

Thanks ,

I will look into it ...

where can i find more info on odbc and its requirement...?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

For DataStage? The pdfs in your PC's "Docs" directory. Otherwise, the vendor: http://www.datadirect.com/index.ssp would be a good place, I would think.
-craig

knowledge
Participant

Post by knowledge »

Thanks .
vinnz
Participant

Post by vinnz »

You could check out Oracle Heterogeneous Services which is supposed to enable access to a non-oracle database using oracle - this would require some DBA work. Hope that helps.
knowledge
Participant

Post by knowledge »

Not sure what it is ...we r still looking for other options, i will try to get more information on it ,
Thanks .
dslisa
Participant

Post by dslisa »

Knowledge, don't know if this will help you. Can you convert your Access Database into a .csv file and then read it in Datastage as a sequential file? Once you are able to read it you should be able to do what ever you need to do with it. Once the .csv is created FTP it from windows to your UNIX source directory before doing anything else. Don't know how big your Access database is and how frequently it is updated? You would manually need to do the .csv conversion process or write a Macro to do it.
knowledge
Participant

Post by knowledge »

hi lisa ,

Thanks , That is one of the option we r planning to implement ,
But again many factors r involved ...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The present tense plural form of the verb "to be" is spelled "are", not "r".
DSXchange is not a mobile telephone, and we expect users to employ professional standards of written English, not least because it is a difficult enough language for those whose first language is not English without resorting to SMS-style abbreviations and other pretensions.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
knowledge
Participant

Post by knowledge »

ok .