Problem while installing the DS server/client 7.5.1 A

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

psluser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Problem while installing the DS server/client 7.5.1 A

Post by psluser »

Hi,

Please let me know if any of the services needs to be explicitly stopped before installing the server/client. I have installed .NET framework 2.0 and 3.0.

Thanks in advance,
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What services do you mean?
psluser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by psluser »

ArndW wrote:What services do you mean?
The services present under Administartive tools > Services on Windows XP. Like firewall service or .NET service etc.

Please let me know the prerequistes if any for installing server/client.
The following is the conf of them/c i am trying to install server on:-
WindowsXP Professional Version 2002(SP 2).
2GB RAM, 80 GB HDD.
I have .NET verion 2 and 3 installed.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Normally these services do not need to be stopped in order to install DataStage.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You do realize that Windows XP is not supported for the server component, yes? Client, sure, but server - no.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Good catch, Craig; I missed that. While some have had success on XP Pro, it is not a supported platform. I know of nobody who has had success running the server on XP Home.
psluser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by psluser »

ArndW wrote:Good catch, Craig; I missed that. While some have had success on XP Pro, it is not a supported platform. I know of nobody who has had success running the server on XP Home.
Hi,

The machine is WindowsXP Professional Edition.
My team mates have successfully installed both server and client on the m/c with the same configuration.

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Still, not supported. For whatever that is worth to you.
-craig

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What errors have you seen during installation?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why not simply ask your team mates what they did to get it successfully installed? Or as Arnd noted, state the actual problem that you had.
-craig

psluser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by psluser »

chulett wrote:Why not simply ask your team mates what they did to get it successfully installed? Or as Arnd noted, state the actual problem that you had.
Hi,

It doesnot show any error. I can see only the process started from Task manager but Installation progress is not viewable. I waited for 5-6 hrs but installation was not complted. Hence killed the process.

I have asked my teeammates but they didnt find any issues and they only said me to kil net.exe if its running. But no such service was running on my m/c.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Although they always say "turn off anti-virus software before installing" I've never had to do that, but perhaps in your case that might be causing an issue. DS install on XP Pro has worked for me. Before you re-try, make sure to clean out directories and also remove any registry entries for DataStage.
psluser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by psluser »

ArndW wrote:Although they always say "turn off anti-virus software before installing" I've never had to do that, but perhaps in your case that might be causing an issue. DS install on XP Pro has worked for me. Before you re-try, make sure to clean out directories and also remove any registry entries for DataStage.
Thanks. but no luck with these changes too :(
sinhasaurabh014
Participant

Post by sinhasaurabh014 »

are you the administrator of the local computer? or are you an administrator on the computer when you login to a particular domain? :?: ((you yourself being just a member of the domain and not the administrator of the domain??))
Please note that in order to install server, you must be -stand-alone administrator!
hope you have also uninstalled MKS toolkit in case that has already got installed. Further, entries related to "data focus" and "mortice kern systems" along with that of ascential should be deleted from regedit.