Authentication error after upgrade to 8.1

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sydphi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Authentication error after upgrade to 8.1

Post by sydphi »

Hi anyone encountered the following after upgrade to 8.1 on RHEL 4?

"Failed to authenticate the current user against the selected Domain
A communication failure occurred while attempting to obtain an initial context with the provider URL"

Client has been upgraded also. WebSphere and InfoServer consoles are working.

Thanks
schierbeek
Participant

Re: Authentication error after upgrade to 8.1

Post by schierbeek »

Hi

Have you updated the hosts file in the client? you must insert a line with the ip address which matches with the server.

The hosts file is under windows/system32/Drivers i think.
sydphi
Premium Member
Premium Member

No good

Post by sydphi »

This has no effect. Is there anyone on here that has successfully upgraded to 8.1 on RedHat 4?

IBM is struggling with an answer to this problem also.

Thanks
rsiem
Premium Member
Premium Member

We're having this issue too...

Post by rsiem »

Have you had any updates yet? Please keep us posted. We just upgraded our development environment, and we're kinda hooped now until we solve this :(

We're running on AIX btw...

Do you have a IBM case number we could reference?
sydphi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Update

Post by sydphi »

Hi worked with tech support this afternoon. Turns out our situation is the host file on RedHat server had the qualified server name paired with 127.0.0.1 They had me plug in the actual IP for the server on a new line. They also sent me a patch related to my XP client. This folder ==>C:\IBM\InformationServer\ASBNode\apps had jre folder replaced and we added a key to proxy.xml in this folder ==>C:\IBM\InformationServer\ASBNode\conf

Don't know if the key and replacement jre were needed. Will restore back to original tomorrow, test and let you know if it still works.

Thanks
rsiem
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rsiem »

Yeah - we got the patch from IBM too - and our hosts file on our AIX box was already pointing to the IP address of the box - it was done on a previous install.

I'm curious more about the key and the jre stuff you did - can I score more info on that?

What a garbage upgrade this has been. Doesn't IBM test this stuff before sending it out in the wild? This is almost as bad as the really buggy 8.0 installation....
sydphi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sydphi »

Hi again,

Here's a quick update. I restored the original "jre" folder and set the "hosts" file back to normal on my XP client and retested everything this morning. The product works the same as it did before the patch so unless they tell me otherwise, I'm going with the original install on my client.

So now I'm basically running the "virgin" upgrade with the exception of the change to the "hosts" file on the RedHat server. We have not upgraded our DB2 metadata repository because we didn't want to muddy the waters with other changes until we got the initial upgrade stabilized.

I have discovered a few other issues.
1) The change management is nowhere to be found, waiting to hear from them about this.
2) If I try to access the "Help" from within any of the client tools, it locks up the WAS server and I have to "kill" the process and restart it from a command line.
3) There is a display bug in the Designer client that only shows the folder icons when I try to browse the repository detail.

Given all of the above, I guess it has been a rough go for such an expensive product. This seems to be the way all of the big vendors are releasing their products as of late. Microsoft (Vista), Oracle (10g), IBM, (Rational, WebSphere, DataStage).

Oh well, At least it keeps us out of trouble.

:lol:
rsiem
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rsiem »

Yeah - we got it - it was the hosts file that was the problem for us too... Stupid program :)

Now we're having compiler issues with any job that has a transformer stage - but that's where Linux and AIX diverge...