developer shold not run job in protected project

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DSbox61
Premium Member
Premium Member

developer shold not run job in protected project

Post by DSbox61 »

Hullo ppl, I know there is a lot of stuff related to the Proteced project but i need help with any workarounds on my requirements.

We want to have a read-only project where the development team can only
1) view the jobs(designs,stage properties, performance statistics,job properties) and not compile or run the jobs in the designer.
2) view the logs in director but not run and jobs.
3) export jobs and metadata but not import any.

The production team should have full access to add/edit the jobs,compile,run the jobs and all other access over the jobs

I know that the protected project is the closest solution for these. but, is ther a workaround to restrict the developer from running a job in designer and director.

Also, do the users under production manager role have the same level of permissions as admin?

Thank You for ur help.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Don't allow the developers to have any role at all in the protected project.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSbox61
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSbox61 »

Ray, if i move them under <None> user role then they wont even be able to login to the designer for the protected project. I would want them to be able to view the job designs but not make any changes to the job.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

A Protected project will automatically accomplish that, as will 'read only' jobs. Your problem is the 'run' part - if you have access to the project, you can run jobs there. Unless there's some new magical 8.x role (existent or coming) that will enforce that...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

NO such magic role in the roadmap. They can look at the designs in development environment, which is what they should be doing in a rigorous software development life cycle. Only executables should be promoted into production for maximum rigour.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

In version 8.1 they can view all the log messages in the web console instead of DataStage Director - so you can take Director rights away from them to prevent them from running jobs. The log view in the console in some ways will be better with cross job reporting and filtering. You can also generate HTML job documentation that comes with a bitmap and click through to html job properties. That might be good enough to debug job problems. Then there is the new Information Server Manager that lets you import components via a GUI or command line. Once again that's an interface that does not have access to running jobs or getting to data. So have a look at version 8.1.